Saturday, October 5, 2013

Silence and Anticipation

My friends Braiden, Rachael and Valerie have moved out of my flat. Braiden moved into a place of his own only a twenty minute walk away. I look forward to seeing him throughout the cold months ahead. Rachael and Valerie caught a plane to Scottland, where they will meet with friends and family, before returning to their home in Hamilton, Ontario. 

I have adopted a nocturnal sleep schedule, due to a series of progressively later nights at dance clubs with my Australian friends. Sleepy rides home on the S-Bahn have become a dominant theme to my time thus far in Berlin. 

Beginning this evening, I anticipate a long period of silence. Between an empty house, my lack of conversational German skills, the increasingly bitter cold weather, and abundance of thoughts to process, I am enjoying my solitude as time for healing. 

I found an incredible art store. Many of the tools are industrial grade, which I appreciate. I bought a beautiful block of paper which takes water in a lovely way. I am working primarily with ink, gouache, and conte. 

Going forth, I will need to make a trip at some point back to Amsterdam, to gather the remaider of my things from Karen's house and to say goodbye (for now) to friends. I am looking for a new place to stay in Berlin, as my rental terms expire in this location in ten days. I will need to apply for a visa soon. I understand that it takes a few months to process, but I can take a chance and wait it out in Berlin. Staying in Berlin would mean a hard winter, and months of working in isolation. I do not feel as closely tied into the arts community here as I did in Amsterdam, but something about the daunting and lonely winter seems romantic to me. I look forward to witnessing how my art changes in this climate.