Monday, October 21, 2013

Letting Go

Today I fasted, a continuation from yesterday afternoon upon which I began reading Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse. The abstinence from food and drink has allowed me further distance from my thoughts and I have felt a sense of calm throughout the day. 

I set to packing up some of my belongings, and shipping them back to the states. I accomplished this by noon and thought it owuld be a good time before Case arrived to retrieve my bicycle which I had left at the Rijksmuseum on Friday. I found my bicycle without problem, then rode to Henxs Shop, where I hoped to see Giulia. She was not there, but I was happy to learn (after checking every day since I arrived in Amsterdam) that she will surely be working tomorrow. I rode back to Bloemgracht. 

Case came over to the house in the afternoon to apply a dry brush around the stain work that he'd begun the day before. After he'd finished the work, he came ustairs to join me by the front window. He'd brought over the body of his samples of stains, pigment blends, and oil paint swatches, which he meticulously catalogued over the course of three months in interest to perfecting his craft as a restorationist. His attention to detail has been refined throughout his career and it was refreshing to see his living excitement over color interactions. The majority of his oil samples composed of the color in its pure form, name variations, applications of zinc white, applications of black, and applications of greys. It was incredible to see hues change into seemingly complex chromatic greys through tints and tones alone. 

There is more work to be done before I head out on the last leg of this European sojourn. Tomorrow I will need to make some moves toward vagabonding. 

I remember as a kid, whenever I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up, I would reply that I wanted to be a hobo. I messaged my mom today to let her know that my dreams were soon to come true.