Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Market Day

This morning I set out to sell some paintings on the street. I had a location selected from last week by the East Side Gallery. Braden and I shared a cup of coffe in the apartment. He gave me some business advise pertaining to pricing and presentation. It felt like the first day of school. Braden also gave me a box, which was used for hos airmattress, which I sit on while composing this post. I put my drawings in the box and was off to Kreutzberg. I arrived as the sun began to some out. It was closer to morning than mid day but there had yet to be any direct sunlight. I found a lovely section of a piece of furniture which I thought to use for a table to display my apintings. I dragged it out from its garbage heap and carefully laid out my works one by one on the white canvas furniture. I took a seat and began to make refinements on a drawing while I waited for my first costumer. Within on e minute of sitting down, there was a strong gust of wind which sent all of my drawings into the air. I sprang up and chased them down. Some bystanders helped me collect them. I set them up again. The wind blew again. I decided to change locations. I relocated to a bridge, on which I'd seen plenty of buskers. I thought that surely the wind wouldn't be a problem in the interior of a bridge corridor, but I was mistaken. My works went flying as before. I packed my things and set out to find a solution. I walked by my friends, Vier and Jacob whom I'd met the day before. They were painting using a cherry-picker outside of a large music venue. They inquired what I was doing with such a large box, to which I showed them my drawings and told then my plans for the afternoon. Vier suggested that I find some souble sided tape to stick them to the surface by their backings. I thought this was a great idea, thanked him, and went to a nearby shop where I found some tape. 

Tape in hand, I walked back to my original location. I dragged out the piece of garbage furniture as before and taped the drawings down to the canvas surface. The system worrked quite well. I made a sign that said 'My name  is Kemeys Goethe. I hope you're having a lovely day.' and another that said '15 euros'. 

I talked with a woman who was interested in my drawings. Her name was Marian. She was a graphic designer and thai chi enthusiast. She'd lived in Berlin for most of her life and shared stories about how she has seen it change. She also practiced calligrapy and mentioned that she would not have the patience to make drawings as I had with a ballpoint pen. I had a bottle of ink and a brush with me and sked if she would demonstrate her work for me in my sketchbook. She happily obliged, and I was grateful to see her become quite playful and curious with her expressive markmaking. We talked about the power that art has to liberate the mind. She totally got it. 

I spoke with another woman about the drawings named Anne, who ws traveling from Barcelona, then another woman from Stuttgart. People seemed interested in the drawings, and interested in me, but not interested in dropping 15 euros on a coaster. I can't blame them. I trashed the sign that said '15 euro' and replaced it with another drawing that I'd just finished. I was honest with myself that this was less about the money and more about the experience to share my art, and talk to beautiful people.  Once the price sign was gone, more people began to come up to me and ask me about my drawings. I was much more plesed with the fact that our conversations had finances out of the equation. With the more natural flow of conversation too, the observer could ask about  buying as he/she felt comfortable. A couple from Luxembourg bought a drawing for 6 euros after I requested that they pay as the see fit. Another woman bought two drawings for 2euros a piece. And my final sale of the day was for three euros and fifty cents. 

I came to several conclusions during my time selling work today. I believe that leaving a price sign out can be intimidating for eople that amy otherwise be interested in talking and buying a piece. I believe that people want to support me and my passion for drawing, but not to the tune of 15 euros a piece. I believe that if there is an exchange that is most favorable for both parties, it is one that is inexpensive and practical. 

Practicality- I believe that the drawings on coasters are charming, but not totally practical. One woman suggested that I clear coat the coasters so that when she uses it, the drawing won't be ruined. I hadn't thought that upon buying one, it would return to its use as a coaster. Surely, I had transformed it into a work of fine art, seperated from the world of practical applications (I jest). This notion sent me into thinking about what these drawings can do for people- without effectively communicative content, not much. There is a quote from and NPR article discussing the definition of creativity. They say that creativity is something that is both novel AND useful. I felt that my drawings were novel, but not useful. And for something not useful, overpriced. 

Although each coaster took close to an hour to draw. I was happy to sell them for 2 euros a piece, 3 euros a piece, because that is what the customer wanted to pay. 

I felt quite happy the whole time I was sitting by my drawings, taking with people. It felt like a more managable and organic version of an opeining reception. The subject matter was usually already understood to be your work, so ther was a natural starting point. Further, an easy out for people is buying a drawing, and going on thier way. 

In the late afternoon, my friend Carl (who has dressed as the 'Neighkid Horse' and played guitar for change every day for the past three months here in Berlin to make rent and pay for living expenses) came to join me in the busking quest. I was happy to see him again and to meet his friend Liz, from Vancouver. Liz was considering buying property in Berlin and I was curious as to how she was going about it, being a foreighner. She was courteous to walk me through the process which she'd used to find apartments, and to place a down payment. I took Liz to be a very smart woman. 

Carl decided he'd made his money for the day and the two of them set off. Moments later, my friend Rikard arrived as planned for our painting date. We went by the paint shop, where I used my money from sales to buy spray paint. We set off for the wall which I'd been to the day prior, to paint something quickly before the sun set. I managed a charachter and Rikard managed a small piece. We did not get good pictures due to lighting. Afterward, we went to a doner restaraunt where we sat for some time and drew together. I taught him about letter structure, as he was interested in graffiti, but had not been painting for long. Our server was named Huseyin. I thought to draw his name in graffiti letters, but it seemed quite long. He sensed my hesitation, and suggested that I draw the name of his wife, Anna. I spent the next two hours drawing a full page of letter designs for 'Anna'. When his shift ended, I gave him the drawing and wished him a good night. Rikard and I left shortly after. I walked back to Braden's apartment. 

Rikard and I plan to meet again tomorrow morning to paint pieces in the daylight.