Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Drawing Day

I spent the morning with Braden. We went to a cafe in Kreutzberg, then split off for our own adventures. I walked around the block and across the river by the east side gallery. I saw a couple murals painted by Blu, an incredible street artist, and walked to take a closer look. At the base of the murals was a squat community. Tents and shanty houses abound. I walked in through the gates and stood in front if the murals. The community was just waking up. People were walking out of their tents and stretching. They were very friendly, nodding good morning to me. I walked around a bit and found a nice seat by the river, one of several chairs set around a fire pit. From my chair I could see a gentleman rolling out a section on the graffiti wall, to paint a mural. I began drawing on my coasters and there I sat through the morning, afternoon, and early part of the evening. He approached me to talk and inquire about my drawings. We talked for some time. his name was Julian. He was from Nuremburg. His painting ws of a dove in flight. He told me that he enjoys paintings birds because his last name is vogel; German for bird. 

I kept him company while drawing. When he finished, I helped him take pictures with his piece. He wrote next to the painting 'A new bird is born', because during the painting, he recieved a phone call from his brother that his sister-in-law had just delivered a beautiful baby girl. Julian had become an uncle. I helped Julian get his supplies into his car and saw him off. He will continue to travel and paint for the next two weeks. 


In the late evening, I went to antoher cafe with Braden. Through the course of the day, I'd made 13 drawings, which brought my total to 20. I'd reached my goal. In the morning I would try my hand at selling the drawings in the street.