Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Tuesday

Today I did laundry, made a sculpture, and bought groceries. I rode my bicycle to the Rembrandt statue to have a picture of me taken to commemorate my facial hair. A friendly couple took my photo, then I rode home to shave it off with a cheap razor that I bought from the corner store. Shaving a full beard with a disposable razor took a long time, but I am happy to experience some facial freedom. 
 
In the afternoon, I rode my bicycle to Henx Store to visit Giulia. We had good conversation about gallery possibilities. I showed her several paintings that I made on Amstel coasters, and she recommended some galleries that might be appropriate for the style of work. I took note of the recommendations and will pay each of them a visit tomorrow with examples of my work, to discuss show possibilities. I rode my bike to try to find one of the galleries, but came across the Harry van Gestel Gallery first. I went in and said hello to Harry. He had just showed every painting in the gallery (they are stacked deep on every wall, not to mention, they're all very large) to some visitors from Japan, who were interested in digitizing the work. We talked about his gallery operations, then about some of my work. We had tea, then he closed up the gallery and I left. 

Back at home, I cleaned up a mess that I made on the first day here; a layer of dust from sanding pieces of drywall inside. It may have been wise to not finish drywall indoors, but at the time, I was swept up in inspiration. Today's cleanup lasted about 3 hours, and I am sure that the environment is in better condition than when I first came here in August. 

I bought a Eurail pass today which will allow me to travel for any 10 days, within 2 months, within 5 countries. I chose Benelux, Germany, Denmark, Switzerland, and Italy. I am excited to use the European rail system within the next couple of weeks. 
I have set up a work table on the other side of my studio, where I am beginning to map out my priorities concerning travels, and business for this European sojourn.