Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Long Date

Today was incredible. I woke up earlier than usual. Dunia and Anna were moving their things upstairs in preparation of guests in the floor below. We had breakfast together, and I made some significant moves on some paintings. I went to the cafe in the afternoon to play my coffe trick of selling a street drawing on a coaster. I sketched in a ballpoint pen, then went in with conte pencils; black, white, and two gray tones. THe drawing looked great sobut twenty minutes in and I feel like I am learning the street well as a result of drawing it three times. There's something enthralling about not documenting the work as well. I have two drawings at home that I intend to document and post, but I don't consider them among the better drawings I've done. Perhaps I will keep a winner soon to send to my family.
Anyway, today the cafe filled up after I sat down and several people were watching me draw. After I finished the drawing, I turned to the table behind me to ask if they would like to see. I met a lovely group from Southern California, as well as a couple from Switzerlad. I told them some of my story, and talked about the luck I've had in selling coasters. Andrew bought the drawing. I went home to prepare for a date with Giulia to see her studio, and move some of her art peices. Before heading to meet Giulia, I threw some spray fixative into my bag. I went byy the cafe to apply the fixative to Andrew's coaster drawing, which he appreciated. I met Giulia by a saxophone player, and we rode to her studio. The studio was incredible. it was 500 square meters. She shared it with six other artists, all of whom were working on significant projects and two of whom, I was farmiliar with. Giulia showed me a lot of her work. It is textile based and graphic. Most of her creations are plush animals that blend play and fine art. The craft was incredible. We loaded or bikes with boxes of her work to bring to a shop which represents her products, but upon arriving, saw that the store owner was away for a few days. We stopped by the graffiti shop where she works to drop off the boxes. She would have to run her errand another day. From there we went to am electronics store, as Giulia needed a cable for her computer for a project. We sat down for a quick coffee to wait out a bit of rain, before setting out on our final mission; to buy tickets to a music show that Giulia intended to go to on the weekend. I began to see that our date was a shopping list. After all of the errands were run, we met with Giulia's friend at a bar. His name was Jordy. We had our drinks, I chose sparkling water. We bar hopped until we came to a bar that Giulia frequented. She got endless games of pool compliments of the bar tender, so we played a few rounds and drank more of our respective beverages. Jordy told us about his friends from New Zealand who had a great product for time lapse photo and video that were in town to promote their product at a film exposition. He offered that we meet up with them, for a night at his apartment, which we happily agreed to. The bike ride was a long one so we made sure to stop by a bar towards the end of the ride, to refuel on our respective beverages. We met Ben and Chris at a Cafe close by Jordy's apartment. We talked about our respective goals and goings about in Amsterdam, which we seemed to align incredibly well with. We went back to the apartment, and Ben and Chris got straight to work; they had an installation to work on the following day. I offered my help for the morning and we exchanged info. The project that they are working on is incredible, and I would love to help them in any way that I can. 
Jordy lent me a jacket for the ride home, which I needed, as I'd left home in the afternoon anticipating a quick outing with Giulia, whom by this point in the evening, had taken a shower and found a bed in Jordy's apartment to crash on. I rode home with vigor and enjoyed every second of it. I can home with a runners high, and took a shower. I ate a small meal, and called my mother, who is going on an exciting trip with my father, and all of my living grandparents. I enjoyed talking with her. 
I talked with Dunia and Anna. They enjoyed the zoo in the afternoon, and had a great meal with a friend of theirs in the evening. 
I have set out all of the supplies that I think I could use for the morning, among them gouache, acrylics, brushes, a blade, pencils and tracing paper. I am excited to meet with Ben and Chris in the morning to help set up a professional booth.