Friday, September 6, 2013

Henk Hage

This morning, I took an early train to Nijmegen to meet with Henk Hage at his home and studio. Henk met me at the train station in his car, and we took a quick drive around the block to his gallery. The show was freshly hung just two days before our meeting, 17 pieces, mostly watercolor. About half of the works were framed, while the other half were hung raw with a foam board backing to give them distance from the wall. The show looked very elegant, and we arrived at a time in the morning where the natural light was perfectly sufficient for the paintings. William, the gallery owner, was there painting the exterior of the building in preparation for the opening reception on Sunday. Henk talked about each work in detail, telling stories and interesting information about their making. I was especially happy to hear about his materials, among them watercolor, gesso, gouache, encaustic, dried pigments, oils, and found objects. There were a couple paintings which he'd started in 1983, and concluded in 2013 displayed in a cabinet with a glass door, illuminated internally, that were particularly powerful.
He explained several concepts concerning the composition of works, wether it be in two moves over the course of a single sitting, or over the course of thirty years. His insights were incredible. Moreover, his excitements over pigments, mediums, and interaction of colors were charming and promising of a fulfilling life. We looked through books of his works and he explained how they were composed and for what purpose. One book featured seven tall paintings, displayed side by side on a single long page, which folded accordion-style into the spine. The craftsmanship on each book was high quality. 

Henk explained his feelings concerning art openings, that recieving compliments for three hours straight, is uncomfortable and unnatural, which I appreciated hearing. 

We left the gallery to visit Henk's house, where I met Saskia and the couple's border terrier. Henk and Saskia had a daughter together, Eva, 15, who was not present as she was at school. They live in a beautifully designed home which used to be a component of a catholic monastery. Saskia made coffee and sandwiches. The three of us and the dog went outside and told stories of our travels, as well as some art talk. Henk and I split off to visit his studio, in a building directly adjacent to the house, in a building which used to be a cloister for nuns. 

The studio was gorgeous. The windows were blown glass, and had a ripple to them, there was a substantial amount of white which reflected the light around the gallery in a diffused glow. He had clippings and things he'd collected on the walls, and his tools in perfect order. In one corner, there was a chair and a cello. 

We talked about different bodies of his work, and aspects of his thoughts about the journey. It was incredible to review a lifetime of dedicated work. The end of our time together, Henk chose to play Casal's Song of The Bird on cello. It was the perfect way to end such a great visit. Henk gave me copies of all three of his books and signed them. I was flushed with gratitude. (or grattitude, because gratitude is an attitude)

Henk drove me back the the train station where I found my train. I took a nap on the train and woke up in a station that looked very similar to Amsterdam's Centraal Station. I got off, the train departed, and I found out that I was in Utrecht. I'd wanted to go to Utrecht, but not particularly today. I took a walk around the block to check things out quickly. There was a beautiful cathedral in the distance that I would like to re-visit another day. Back on the train, I made it to Amsterdam, and rode my bike to Spuistraat where I thought I could catch Edwin, my friend who owns the gallery space. I found him next door at an art opening at a beautiful space. The works were huge oil paintings that looked about 70% finished and varying in quality and subject matter from one to the next. Edwin recognized me, but did not remember my email. A new development has come up and Edwin will now be in New York putting on a show in November. I am still permitted to have a show in his space, but I will have to talk to different management. I hope it works, and have back up plans if it doesn't. 

After visiting Edwin, I went to a show opening called Broken Fingaz. The work was great, illustration with graffiti influence. The artists were all very friendly too. They were all from the same town in Israel. They started the art collective, (and two are in a band together), and began traveling around the world hanging shows, painting murals, and playing music. I have seen that it can be done. I bought a badass shirt and traded art stickers with them. I look forward to our paths crossing again. 

I made some more moves on the big painting tonight. I believe a lot of the painting will be rendering from here and not as much wild throwing paint around. 

I don't know what kind of day the girls had, they were in for the night when I got back home.