Saturday, September 7, 2013

Market Day

Great evening in the studio. I worked for a long time on the big painting and its becoming quite powerful. I will need to do some exploring to figure out the best finish to apply to it. 

I went out in search of a market today. First, I found the flower market, where a whole two blocks are devoted to bulbs. I didn't need any bulbs, so I moved on to another market, which had a lot of clothes and food. I bought a great papaya juice drink, and later a ham and cheese croissant. I saw nearly all of the booths and was on my way out when I noticed a booth on the side devoed to used books. I found a copy of a Jean de La Fontaine book that Gustave Dore illustrated, as well as a collection of paintings by John Bauer, a Swedish painter who died early in his career. I had been looking for a John Bauer book for sometime, and happily bought the pair of books for 10 euros. 

I bought some new groceries, as I am beginning to seek variety in diet from my standard leverwurst sandwiches.