Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Lords Day

Today I began painting earlier than usual, in the afternoon. After making some moves, I went down to the Cafe to have an espresso, and to see if I could make my caoter trick work again. I drew the street view from my vantage point on the bottom of a coaster and as I was finishing, I noticed a man standing behnd me, watching. He said that he'd been watching me draw from the beginning when he ans his wife were sitting inside. I told him that I sold two coasters yesterday for two euros each and I was hoping to sell this one. He thought it was a great idea and bought the coaster. His name was Al and his wife's name was June. They were missionaries from Nova Scotia, who had done some work in another town in the Netherlands. Al and June are a part of a salvation mission team which had its own boat. He was happy to inform me that it was the largest floating book fair. We taked about my stay here, and they were sure to inquire about the red light district. I spoke clearly to then without censorship about my opinions of the controversial subjects of the red light district. I told them about the quality which is resilient within the town people, and what I thought were the benefits of having a community like the one represented here. The style of their inquiries seemed like they were in search of problems to fix. I gave the couple a card and asked them to send me an email so we can keep in touch. They blessed me and we parted. 
The art store was closed today, but I made due with what I had in the studio. I went on a walk to find coasters that had fallen on the ground. I found three, before I turned around to head home. I saw a Thai Restaurant across the street that looked great, so I went in an ordered a chicken soup with coconut milk. I had the pleasure of painting on the coasters while I waited for the soup to be made. I enjoyed the atmosphere, which helped the drawings come out nicely. The soup and rice came out at the perfect time, and made an incredible meal. 
Back at the studio, I made some more moves on four paintings, and all of the sculptures ( there are six sculptures in the making). 
I cleaned my palette and will be happy to look at everything dried in the morning, as I am working quite thick and wet. 
I will need to be productive about finding a gallery to exhibit this work in. They take up a decent amount of space, and I would not like to deal with them past my time in Amsterdam. I will also need to begin preparing the works to be hung, and sold.