Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Where I Live

This was originally drafted as an email to introduce my family to Jacksonville for their forthcoming travel plans, then edited for the blog:

Here's a cropped map of Jacksonville. 

My warehouse is in the mid-left at the corner of Rosselle St. and King St. 

Moving to the right, you can see my location indicator dot. I am writing this email from a great cafe called Bold Bean (Jacksonville is known as the Bold City of the South). 

A few blocks to the right and down at the water's edge is a square park- Memorial Park- where the riverside bicycle trail begins. (one block to the northeast is five points, with plenty of great restaurants). Four blocks to the northwest is the Cummer Museum. 

The YMCA splits the difference between the riverside area and the downtown area, which begins at the Jacksonville Landing (where you can shop). North of that is the Museum of Contemporary Art, where I am currently spending my days assisting my friend Shaun in installing a large mural in the museum atrium. We work on the mural together with a forty-foot lift behind a large curtain. The mural will be revealed to the public during the One Spark Festival- a city-wide crowd-funding event where public and private funds are pooled then democratically distributed to artists and innovators through a ballot process. This will be the second year for the festival and it feels like Christmas in the air talking about it. Shaun and I have painted four walls in the downtown area to compliment the one which we are currently installing, garnering attention from a few local newspapers and one tv station. Shaun has been interviewed several times about his latest campaign (he has been creating public art in Jacksonville for about ten years.) This is what many consider to be his highest achievement to date, and I feel blessed to have been a part of it.