Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Pyramid Inc.

Last night, I was granted open access to Pyramid Inc's new building, which is in mid-construction, to begin painting a mural in their daily living room.

I set up and spent at least an hour mapping the mural. This one was designed for a very process-based install, meaning that I had limited room for error because my supplies were limited. 

After mapping, I studied the value painting that I'd made in gouache, then began mixing colors. I used one five-gallon bucket for the majority of the painting- mixing one color, blocking it in, then mixing the next color directly from the one prior. 

I deviated from the value study with unsatisfactory results, so I spent a lot of time remixing colors and re-painting large sections. Periodically, I would snap a photo of the wall, then set my camera display to monochrome grayscale in order to get the values singing as I intended. It was 4:45am before I finished the painting. I felt as though I had just run a marathon, it felt incredible.