Sunday, March 9, 2014

Murals in Downtown Jacksonville

I spent the night in a guest room at Shaun's house. We both agreed that I would be much more rested that if I'd slept in the freezing warehouse. (Indeed, sleeping in a warehouse is not always pleasant). We woke up fairly early and were out at the wall before 10. Dean arrived soon thereafter to document Shaun's process in video. Dean was a cool dude, he was a big mellow surfer with a booming voice and charming personality. He directed and filmed a few sequences of Shaun and I walking up to the blank wall and pointing at it, planning. Then a shot or two of us taking our jackets off in the midday heat. I began to feel as though I shouldn't have been in the shots, as this was Shaun's gig which I was fortunate to be a part of. Nevertheless, the shots were taken, and the beginning  of the film will likely look like Shaun and I were more collaborators than is truthful. Upon realizing this, I took some time to reassess our dynamic, then took my place shaking cans and organizing paint for an efficient workspace for Shaun. This felt like a much healthier work environment. 

We painted for ten hours. There were few people on the street which was nice for our workflow. One  gentleman named Daniel Sparks sat down at the bus stop in the late afternoon. The bus had not stopped there all day, and upon informing  Daniel, learned that he was not from here and needed to get to a shelter in a few minutes. I gave him a ride to the shelter. Daniel is very passionate about drawing, and requested that I come by his shelter before Tuesday to see some of his works. I promised Daniel that I would come back. He pulled out a new fleece blanket from his pack and gave it to me. Shaun and I continued working on the wall until just after sunset. We went to his place, then out to dinner at Moon River Pizza. Our pizza tasted incredible after such a longs day's work.