Saturday, August 31, 2013

The World's Biggest Joint

I bought a large tub of heavy gel medium, a retractable blade kinfe, and a huge bottle of glue. I am happily using the glue and gell medium for my paintings. I will use the knife to sharpen large pencils. 

Afterward, I walked to Henx graffiti shop to see my friend Giulia. She was there. I was happy to see her and we talked about events around the city. I met Mingus, the store owners son who referred me to his mother's clothing shop next door. Her name was Lucanne, or Lucy. She told me about her shop and the growth of Henx, her husband's shop. I found an incredible jacket with an interior lining screen print of a typographic design that reads Every Thing is Going to be Great. Lucy cut me a deal on it. 
I saw Gulia again and she told me to get a bike at the market down the street, being Saturday. I walked to the market, and shopped around for a bike. There were three little outposts selling bikes, but I do not doubt that they were in the same operation. Their bikes were held together largely by zip-ties. I rode one of their bicycles around the block and the whole thing was fucked, for lack of a better term. I offered the guy 30 euros for it. He wanted 70. It was a scam.
 I walked to an ATM to get some batering money, then on my way back a man in a wheelchair saw me walking and said "here's your bike", pointing in the direction of the only two bicycles he had to sell. The bicycle was perfect. I took it for a spin. He wanted 50 euros for it, so I payed him, then bought a lock from another vendor for 10 euros. 
I restocked on levervurst and bread, and went back to the studio for lunch. I went to the cafe where I am now frineds by name with the servers and ordered a cappuccino. I made a drawing of the street on the bottom of a coaster and a woman named Nelly, who was walking down the street with her husband, saw it and asked me if she could buy it. She told me a story of how the last time she saw an artist like me, she wished that she'd bought the work. I asked for 3 euros, and she talked me down to two. I agreed and signed the coaster. The only other woman in the cafe was watching me draw it the whole time, and my negotiations with Nelly, so I made a second drawing. I paid for my drink, then brought the work over to her and her firend (whom took her seat during the drawing). She and her friend were thrilled that I wanted them to see. They loved the work, and I sold it to Camilla or Cami for 2 euros. So basically, I went to the cafe, and made a euro! 
I took a bike ride and found a plastic tub which I can use as a bath for washing my sculptures with pigments. Back in the studio, I gave a sculpture a bath, streched an old tshirt around a piece of drywall for a canvas, and put more work into the paintings. I also rolled the biggest joint ever. I made it from all of the garbage that I've made since I came to Amsterdam. Paper scraps, wrappers receipts etc. all made it into the joint. I made a video of it's making and may post it below as a link. I think it is the funniest thing in the world.