Saturday, August 24, 2013

8/22-23

Upon arriving in Amsterdam, I took a can into town I meet Josine, friend if the Dennis Family, and co-owner of the Josine Bokoven gallery who agreed to meet me to deliver the house keys. 
Josine and I talked about her gallery and some of the artists she has shown, among them Carlos Granger, and Henk Hage. Josine departed for the night, and I began setting up my studio, unpacking my things and rearranging furniture were first priority. Next, I needed a work table, but I found no such thing in the house.  I took a walk around town, mapping dumpsters that might have scrap wood that I could build a table with. I went to the city center and through the red light district, before coming back. The red light district was an intense experience to wittness. I found a pile of wood that I would later revisit. I returned home and turned in for the night. 

I woke up in the afternoon and went downstairs to visit Josine in her gallery. I told her that I was on a mission to build a table, then set off to find more scrap wood. I spent most of the day walking. I bought some groceries to keep me from starving, and some art supplies for works on paper. In the evening, I found a stack of palettes and some scrap particle board. I went home to get a rope and hammer, then revisited my findings to harvest supplies to build my table.  At about midnight, I found myself walking back home with a bundle of wood tied together and slung over my shoulder. When I arrived back home, I began assembling my table. I used a handsaw and a hammer and nails to build the table. All measurements were done using twine. I used every piece of wood that I brought back. I am pleased with the results. I placed it in the front window so I can work with natural light throughout the day. It's position also makes me feel like I'm the captain of a huge ship. After the table was finished I shaded a few character drawings, and composed an abstract painting.