Sunday, August 11, 2013

NYC 6/27/13


Today I am in New York City..

To get the ball rolling I'll explain where I am prior to my travels :
I was accepted into Ringling in May, but did not receive a scholarship from the school. A bachelors in illustration from Ringling would cost 70,000 dollars. 

I declined the acceptence, and went to New York to take three SVA Continuung Education Deparrtment courses: Draw Anything, Especially From Your Head, with Jerry Moriarty,
Childrens Book Illustration with Monica Wellington, and Graphic Design, with Skip Sorvino. 

Through Wellington's course, I attended a lecture at the society of illustrators based on Maurice Sendak's controversial contributions to children's books, and a movie about Tomi Ungerer to the same tone. 

Outside of SVA, I met Scott Brundage, an illustrator whom I was introduceed to through my roommate, Andre. Scott showed me some helpful things to consider with watercolor painting. 

I also met with Jonathon Rosen, a long-time professional illustrator, in his studio for a mock assignment to compose an infographic. 

I left New York on July 9th, to begin a first tour with one of my bands, American Honey. 
We toured the Southeastern United States for three weeks. 

After the tour, I returned to my parents home in central Florida to visit with many of my cosuins for "cousins weekend".

I later went with Jacksonville friends Aaron Levi Garvey, a curator and art installer, Joey and Felici of the Milagros Collective, and Stevie, a stylist, to go on a trip to New Orleans to see Tameka Norris' art opening at the CAC. While in New Orleans, I met with Dona Leif, a friend of the Dennis Family's and long time professional artist. We went to her gallery show during hanging to show me some of her latest paintings. Donna uses pop culture references and insects to create unique dialogues in her paintings. 

After jacksonville I returned to Tallahassee to meet my friends at thier house at a CoOp, and to stay with the Dennis Family.