Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Amsterdam Work

This morning I met Robert, a friend of the Dennis Family's who was in the house to do repairs. After Robert left, he had a conversation with Josine about some dust that I'd generated in the living space while cutting drywall for a series of paintings that I am working on. Josine came up to my room to see for herself, and spoke on behalf of the family that I keep my space tidy. This serves as a lesson for me that you never know when you might have a visitor to your studio. It is best to keep things clean for this reason, and for clarity of mind while creating. I spent my afternoon cleaning, then went out for a coffee. I made a few drawings on drink coasters which I am happy about, and plan to work into my expressionistic recent body paintings. I asked the server, Gideon, for more coasters and he handed me a stack of a dozen. 

After coffee, I took a walk to search for scrap wood or cardboard that I might/could paint on. I am using my surfaces faster than I can get them, and I find painting on something that was already deemed garbage liberating. I came across and old sign for children's nursery, which I happily took, as well as some cardboard scraps. I brought everything back to the house and set out again to buy some supplies. I went to the art store, just around the corner, and picked up a bucket of gesso, some heavy acrylic medium, charcoal, black and white spray paint, a large cheap brush, a white out pen, and some craft paper. 
After the art store, I went to a street-art store called Henxs, where I bought a couple interesting markers and met a new friend Giulia. She and I talked about each other's work. I showed her my website, and she showed me hers. She makes soft toys and installations with drawings and fabrics that rule. She mentioned that if I would like a place to draw, or if I would like to meet some friends in the art community, that she would be happy to show me her studio, where she works with ten other artists. She gave me her phone number and said to keep in contact. Afterwards, I went straight to the phone store to get myself a track phone. I bought the cheapest one, with some prepaid minutes. 
I called Karen to let her know that all was well and that I now had a phone. She had already heard about the dust that I'd created. 
I tried calling my mom to no avail. 

I used all of the USPS stickers that I brought over for character drawings and will happily post the results below, as well as some of my abstract paintings.