Thursday, August 29, 2013

Amsterdam On The Hunt

I became aligned with the Dutch time schedule, then began to fall behind again. The fluctuations seem to vary depending on how late into the night I continue painting. I began a few larger works of my black, white, and ochre paintings. The works are dynamic and subjective, with landscapes and forms emerging from abstractions, suggested by my further rendering. I am painting and drawing these pieces on found objects from the city, and making the drawings while in different areas of the city. I feel like they are closely related to the ether of the city itself. 
I am in the scouting phases for now, but am looking for a gallery to display my work. I have walked in a few prospects which I like, but will begin really searching as the work begins to resemble a show. Tonight, I am waiting on a few paintings to dry, as I have begun using an impasto technique with acrylic, oil, and heavy medium. 
I made a drawing on the bottom of an Amstel coaster a few days ago at a cafe, then developed it into a painting at home. The next day, I went back and asked my waiter, Gideon if he could spare some more coasters, which he happily agreed to. He gave me 17 coasters. Wahoo! So now I have 18 little coaster paintings that I would like to mount somehow for the show tba. Another mounting challenge will likely be a piece of cardboard which I have painted on. I would like the advise of an artist, which I am happy to know such great ones as my friends. 

This afternoon I went for a long wak to get some food and art supplies. I came accross a great trapezoidal shaped box which held a kids guitar at one point, and a sheet of MDF board. I sat down at a cafe with my findings and had a cappuccino and a croissant, then went to the Albert Hein market to buy more leverwurst. After buying food, I came accross a great clothing shop, where I bought what I believe is my new favorite shirt. 

Back home I worked on paintings, and ate a great lunch.

This evening I went for a walk casulally keeping my eye open for the chance that I happen upon some string to make some sculptures to go with the paintings. I did not find any string, but explored some new areas of the city, that I was excited to see. I met two pairs of American girls, and a group of London girls all by sensing that they wanted to take a photo together. I hammed it up as a photographer and gave everyone a laugh. The london girls were exploring Europe by Eurail, which I am now looking into for some forthcoming travels. They gave me some good advise on fares. We had a great conversation about names after I introduced myslef. I was talking to a Jemima for sometime and when I inquired about her name she told me a great story of Job from the bible, who had three daughters. The youngest daughter was Jemima, and the young woman I was speaking to was the youngest of three daughters. It was said that Job's daughters were the most beautiful in the land, which I can attest Jemima was. 
I came across the Rijksmuseum later on my walk. I didn't know it was the Rijks for some time, I went to the building because it was beautiful, then stayed for some time to listen to a fantastic saxophone player. He was playing under the central outdoor atrium of the museum, and the acoustics were astounding. He finished his playing, and upon leaving I realized where I was. 

Back home, I made some marks with ochre gouache on the USPS sticker character drawings, adopting them into the new body of work.