Thursday, February 7, 2019

landscape class


 Things went better than my mind would allow myself to believe today. I made studies of light out in landscape class. Martenson eluded to a scholarship (or was I projecting?) Martenson also spoke kindly of me, to me, saying I had humility. I’ve been into Alex Katz recently after a friend of mine asked me to name the greatest living painter. I think Katz is that. I was thinking of Alex Katz in Landscape class today. I watched a couple interviews with him. I made a run of screen printed shirts- cyan ink on green tees. The design is of a cartoon of me carrying a stretcher bar canvas support, with text that reads ‘Kemmy does PAFA, c. 2019 A.D.’. I bring up Katz and humility and this shirt because the content potentially incongruent with humility, but Katz argues (not expending much energy, he is efficient) that style is more important than content, and I agree. Some that have seen the shirt say ‘that’s very you’, and I’ve heard before some commentary ‘most Kemeys thing ever’, and often I’ll draw something true to my aesthetic, not for some class or whatever, and so I do think I have a style. Today I junked a graffiti piece I thought was cool. I don’t think my Graffiti got very far into ‘my style’, but at the same time, I think Graffiti is kind of wasteful the way I was doing it often times. When I matured graffiti wise, it was characterized by much smaller and more intimate tags and pieces, not blockbusters etc. 

So I like this Kemmy shirt. I thought $15, but now I’m thinking $12. I probably printed 20. 

Things I am supposed to do: make 3D models to print for 3D print class 
Watch 1-31 demos for premier pro 
Read reading for Moving Images class
Read syllabus for moving images class, to stay on track. 
Bring gouache kit to school. Or watercolor kit. For landscape class. 
Work out a few thumbs from memory of landscapes from Wednesday’s class 
Make flyers, business cards, and advertisements for shirts in photoshop 
Distribute flyers like mad 
Print the larger sizes tonight 
Plan out panoramic under the bench composition of procession of rocks, draw, sculpt, light, paint (long kite)
Build 8 by 58 stretcher. For Lexi. Do small studies for it. Cutout like Katz 
Clean studio 
Bring and scan Henry and hang and gift for open studio. 
Build several small figure armatures 
Get an apple for Friday morning class 
Prepare a sculpture for Friday morning class. 

Bring in Bridgeman