Friday, August 24, 2018

Coffee Martyr

Oof. Keyboard is broke on the iPad. I guess typing on the screen, hey, isn’t so bad. Maybe just as good. I made a schedule for today and stuck with it. I made three thumbnail drawings upon waking (day four of this routine) then started coffee before sitting down to meditate. I think I liked it. I like hearing the sounds of the coffee maker, and much to my joy the sounds of the neighborhood are good too. I can hear trolley cars with their electric cable resonances from a few blocks away, and when they’re outside my building (a three and an attic walk up brownstone kind of), the idling air conditioner units that are situated on top. There’s usually people at our stop, so I can rest assured that our block is a healthy one, and I am happy to be a part of it. The trolley pulls away, and I can hear tires and engines of cars, and sometimes horns. We live just off the road (and overlooking a six point intersection). It’s all suppositions before the final fall semester of my undergrad starts. I’m focusing on sequential and spot illustration right now. Kind of meme like drawings. I have this one that’s a wrecking ball swung back, that reads ‘not saying anything’, and I wrote it in relation to political correctness, as I read DuBois and Hoffer; it’s ‘negriod’, ‘negro’ all over etc., but it’s civil and intellectual and to get to ideas, and truly used in the right way of that time, and it’s more sobering to get with their larger points than to dwell and vet and qualify. Of course such a vague illustration could mean a lot of things, so I like that too, probably better, for it matters less how we get to a thing than what the thing becomes in meaning by the journey. I have this teacher that uses ‘journey’ a lot, and I like that. She recommended a movie from our library, ‘Mindwalk’, which I checked out and watched yesterday morning first thing. I went back to a nap after making coffee and meditating and reading Freud’s intro to his Jokes book. I left my door open so if my roommates were to see in, to wonder why I wasn’t seizing the day, they could see the coffee martyr. ‘Good God, he brewed the pot to drink it not’! ‘What grounds for such boldness!?’


I hope to remember this day forever. I’m on track.