Friday, August 17, 2018

Angie and Tim

Angie and Tim are coming to visit from their Summer digs in Long Island.

I took a break from eating yesterday and resumed this afternoon with a slice of pizza, a plum, and a coffee. I’m reading Eric Hoffer’s book again, Working and Thinking on the Waterfront and it’s a treasure. I may order another Eric Hoffer Book. He talks about writing about the history of the intellectual and I wonder if he ever got around to it. It seemed to be his big preoccupation in this journalistic work. Well, this might disrupt the rhythm of the journalistic format, but I opened a new tab and ordered two books from Hoffer since the last sentence. I also called my mom and asked for her password to her amazon account, so that I could download an anatomy book for reference.

I was tempted to order another book from Gayatri Spivak but goddam those writings are hard.

My roommates are out in nature somewhere taking photos of each other naked. Part of me wanted to go, and another part didn’t. When I woke up, I thought ‘yes!’ Because I wanted to see people naked, which is weak alibi. I think it’s natural to like clothes. Who wants every part jangling around all the time? Plus, with exception of some critters, we don’t have handy built in pockets.

I turned in my old apartment keys today, with my roommate, former. It was like a long business transaction, our living together, which I think is something like the best scenario for a housemate- nothing too personal. My new housemates sometimes talk of goin in on big meals together for efficiency, and if this too can be non-sentimental, it would be a good thing, whereas when it was pitched to me before I lived there it seemed like a lot of pressure I guess.

I’m thinking of selling the bike, as there’s no sensible route from my new apartment to school, and the trolley is pleasant, and most everything else is within walking distance. I’d put about $250 into the $100 bike; I think I’ll ask $150, or $180 with a lock and helmet. Oof .

There’s going to be a get together at my new place tonight, with sixteen confirmed guests, and I’m looking forward to that. I’ll pick up Angie and Tim soon enough then make my way there to clean and prepare for the night.

I signed up for two more classes during the Fall, on Saturdays no less. Whereas I try to treat Saturdays as holy days, I’m putting a little moratorium on that for the coming semester on the basis that I’m hungry for anatomy, and just want to binge on it. The classes are portrait sculpture/figure option, and Deer Ecorche. If I continue to participate in sunday painting sessions, I will be working seven days a week, which, what’s new, but also I’m thinking maybe I’m growing away from the Sunday painting practice, as it’s a contrived thing, a big chunk of time on the basis of practice, and (I don’t know) I think it’s a ego pit at this point, like I’m some star there, which is whack vibes for a room, so I think I’ll take a break on it. I never missed one last year.

Someone in the elevator here at PAFA said he’s not looking forward to the summer ending. I seconded, ‘it’s more relaxed’. he said, ‘much more’. It reminds me of David Rachoff’s profound hindsight as he neared his end, ( I think he committed suicide), “I just wish I would have enjoyed it more”. Sometime before that, on NPR, he relayed how he cut it off with his therapist, “I think it’s time to terminate”. These things have stuck with me and somehow kept me from reading his book of poems, as I am cautious as to what’s in there. I think he wrote this one; he read it aloud on NPR about the scorpion and the frog, which I think is an established poem, yet Rachoff’s was the first to put it into a pleasing pentameter.

Where should I bring my friends coming to see Philadelphia? I will try to give them plenty and plenty of space. For one thing their souls are going to have to catch up after riding a bus from Manhattan.