Thursday, February 1, 2018

Sugar and coffee


Picked up the last of my ceramic sculptures from Bronwyn’s class at the Starr Garden. That might do it for the class. I made a connection in Yaffa, who wants her portrait done. She is a PhD and so is her husband. As with the high achievers, she is enthusiastic and full of ideas for a portrait. She envisions a tesseract of a piece, involving sculpture, photo, writing, calligraphy, video, painting, everything, to tell her life’s story. Like cubism- but more, she describes. I am yessing my way though the planning stages. I have made preliminary sketches thus far of her in traditional garb from her ancient tribe. 

Submitted for my friend’s zine project. I did the cover and an interior spread. The friends are putting together a dummy and will try to get Ringling to pay for printing costs through a small grant. I moved out of one of two studios here- one is plenty, and I’d learned that lesson before too. Still life class I hope to make my bread and butter, though, and I didn’t think I’d say this, but I love portrait painting and relish the two portrait classes I am in- back to back, allowing for a minimum six hour painting day. I plan to paint after those classes on Mondays too, now having terminated from Starr Garden’s ceramics class. Where I’d been new at ceramics and making a couple sculptures per class, I have slowed down in gaining some proficiency and feel that it’s not worth my expenses to attend these community classes. So my painting time is as follows: Mondays, 6hours with potential 6 bonus hours, Tuesdays, Three with potential for six, Wednesdays, six with six, T, six with six, F, draw, (and I hope to splice in a dance class forthcoming) in addition to Museum draw 2-3. 6 6, 3 6, 6 6, 6 6, draw (6). 41 paint, 6 draw. 21 p, 6d. 

Three bad paintings today; it can feel as though the world is ending. I chatted with a model who used to live in Tallahassee at the same time as me (though I was mostly in Highschool at that time, there are still plenty of overlaps). He hung out with a friend group I’m familiar with. He’s the kind of guy my uncle talked about in his deathbed letter- the eccentric people- they’re more interesting. I agree. We went on a bike ride through Chinatown and got lunch the other day. I’ve got a life-sized portrait bust of him on my desk that I’m looking at periodically. When I first saw him model I thought “now this is a man!” very sexy. I’m going to do a report on Tintoretto. I guess he was a rock and roller, and used the language of Titian liberally, and to criticism by the likes of Vasari. I’ve not read much, but I like him already. There’s a draw-a-thon coming up- twenty four hours of drawing. I scored about fifteen slices of pizza in the last two days, and a trash-banana, and pastry and a bagel at tonight’s class. That’s in addition to nuts from my studio-mate, and dates and fruit from Yaffa from her Jewish harvest holiday celebration. What good fortune! 

I’m focusing on horses recently, and hope I can get to an understanding of their anatomic construction, especially as we will draw from a live model coming up shortly in an animal anatomy course. With all of my proclivity for scheming et al, I should drink less coffee and eat less sugar I think, as at the end of the day, I’m in the right place and would be wise to cut down on the drugging. Bronwyn gave me a thorough critique of my zine images, and what I consider as my first critique. To my heartfelt astonishment she ‘got it’ on the spot. Glass casting is coming up here at pafa and I’ve got some summer do-dads in moulds and weighed out. I must consider whether to make new do-dads to round out the batch- a time commitment. I have ideas. I did the thing this afternoon and committed to a still life subject. I scraped down my block-in and will do some measured drawing and color mixing before a second block-in. The theory is to preview the composition and make whole decisions therefrom. I’m chanting Catherine Murphy in my head while I paint. 

From a book I’d read over winter break it was said do not hesitate to buy good books, and since I have not hesitated. I have plenty of reading to do and what’s more my teachers this semester have each recommended and required in some cases several books for our referencing and curriculum. For my materials and techniques class a link was sent to a digital archive of, god, it must be over a hundred books about artist materials, techniques, histories, etc. I’ve written down a few of interest to me, and let’s se if I get to them. Email me if you would like a link to over a hundred free digital artist books, I’ll pass it along. Yaffa gifted me two of her husband’s shirts that were going to thrift. I think I’ll cut up a couple shirts then to use for painting rags. It’s wonderful to be a part of a community. I continually lose my school id. What do I do with that thing? It’s the coffee and the sugar I imagine.