Tuesday, January 16, 2018

School day, beginning of a thread of days

Something simple today. It’s picking up. I dropped a table on my toe from being rushed this morning. A transverse bumbler and converse helper had me flustered. GOt a good painting in the morning. Looking at Fairfield Porter, Velasquez, Orpen, and a student of Bouguereau who’s name escapes me, then looking at Scott Noel’s paintings too, I was reminded of coins under a lit tea light in an emptied hotdog can. The darks indiscriminately made a stealthy lattice, the mid tones bent and accounted for ‘largeness’, and the lights floated. . SO the expression is ‘thread the darks, flood the mids, float the highs.’ That was my big takeaway from today. I went to a conceptual class in the afternoon. I think I will drop it, because there’s a traditionally oriented Scott Noel drawing class happening at the same time.