Friday, April 18, 2014

One Spark and Beyond

Plenty of updates:

Shaun and I completed the mural inside of the Atrium of the Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville. An offer was extended to me to handle and assist hanging future MOCA shows.

The One Spark Festival was a success, particularly for Shaun and the MoCA's Project Atrium campaign. Shaun won the vote from the panel of jurors, which came with a $10,000 check and a trip to Berlin in September. Shaun has expressed that he would like my presence in Berlin. We are discussing logistics. Shaun received a second check in the amount of $1,700 from the public opinion vote. He will contribute half of his total winnings to the museum, to help fund the continuation of their Project Atrium Series.

I met a wonderful woman. Her name is Laurel.

I bought a chest of drawers. It cost $80 at first, then another $300 to fix my car window that blew out when I loaded up the piece of furniture and closed my trunk down onto one of the legs. I felt silly making this mistake, but was fortunate to find a glass repair company that could help me remedy the situation within a day's notice. The chest of drawers is now in my studio under my work table. It functions wonderfully.

I may move in to Shaun's studio at the beginning of May. I believe it will be invigorating to have two livable, workable spaces. I may use my current studio for heavier work; large paintings, woodwork, etc., and the CoRK studio (Shaun's space), for studies and illustrative works. Having two studios will also be wonderful in hosting friends and visiting artists. I am very blessed.

I am making studio work at a satisfactory clip. My sleep schedule is bending into the laters hours, as it is easier to stay with a project once it has been activated than to do... anything else really. I aim to create a body of work (cathartic as it may be), prepare it for display, then shop for an appropriate venue to display it.

I will travel south to Titusville beginning tomorrow for Easter Sunday. I look forward to spending time with family, and cooking in my grandmother's kitchen.