Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Airport

They say write drunk, edit sober- well you as the reader have the benefit of reading my drunk, (not really- only one small glass of wine) bloggings sans editing. I'm in the Orlando airport now. Since my last post, I finished a few paintings in Miami with my friends Johnny and Optimo. Johnny contacted a friend of his to write a proposal for a mural project which we hope to turn into a proper art space with which we will host events annually during Art Basel Miami. First things first though, we have to cover the entirety of the available wall space (or at least that's my understanding) so as to fulfill our end of the deal with the owner of the building, and to save our asses from being arrested. (We commondeered the walls rather than having permission. We were granted a pardon under the conditions that we finish what we started). I would say that the graffiti artists had painted about 60 percent of the available wall space. Johnny, Optimo, and I brought that number up to about 80 percent within a one week period, inserting complimentary backgrounds. Christmas approached before we could finish the project (and progress slowed as we began to think about the potential for subsidation from the owner of the building) and I thought it was good time to get back to my parents house for Christmas. I prepared to leave. In my final days in Miami, my homeless friend, Willy, took it upon himself to teach me the trade of weaving roses from Palmetto fronds. It was a beautiful learning experience, one that I am honored to have been able to take part in. Willy was considerate and patient. He was sure to teach me not only his process, but harvesting techniques, how to interact with people on the street, and tips on showmanship. I trusted Willy wholeheartedly. He had a troubled life- overcoming years of alcoholism and finding a unique livelihood traveling throughout the southeastern United States, selling aformentioned roses. He taught me how to walk through a troubled neighborhood (ie. how to pass people on the street, and avoid unnecessary conflicts). He told me about where he came from and the things he has seen and as I've learned from many homeless people, he had an incredibly interesting life. 

That's it for now, I will soon be boarding a plane to New York City to visit with friends for the New Year celebration.