Sunday, March 25, 2018

SO it’s said you gotta write to know what you think. I’ve thought a cycle over the past couple hours.

I sculpted for the last couple days, well few days. Annual PAFA competition. My roommate won.

Roommate skipped half the first day, half the second day, etc. kinda diddled.

Judge said a bunch of stuff about intellectual efficiency and awarded the prize, negating his high claims. I thought it a cop-out, and easy out- to which his selection reflected. ON one hand talking about shorthand notation and language- and the competition is based on rhythm, some other shit and some other shit.

Judge copped out and picked the sculptural equivalent to Muzak.


Tbh just very safe and detached, like the judging.


The cycle part of my thinking is that this doesn’t mean anything for my future - the judgement was a social one, as made concrete in his critiques, offered afterward. I took him up on the crit, and he drew garbage on my sculpture; literally circling areas and speaking about the regions as if reading a textbook, yet my solutions were valid. He drew a center line over my center line, like a dumbass, didn’t look at the thing. By the measures he’d proposed, he was just trying to sound like a sculptor.

My armature was badass, I spent six hours on the armature. Another ten minutes on the armature, then six hours blocking, then cutting. Today I spent six hours cutting, and basically matching the silhouette. It was a tour-de-force. I hardly looked at the thing, so when the judge went on about the sculpture being a product of process and intellectual investigation, then selected the object which was furthest from his sky-high statements, I knew he was a shill, and full of shit. So, I won. That’s the only way I can live with myself. I mean, I know I didn’t win, but I gave it my best, and I won’t take this judgement as some sign for more things than it is. If it means anything it’s that I alluded yet another curse of validation in exchange for clarity.

No humans were harmed in the posting of this blog.