Saturday, July 29, 2017

Projects

I'll write for a few minutes, before my tinder-window opens up again. I've developed some vices which are neither here nor there. Talking to strangers on tinder has been a mostly positive experience.

I'm living with my parents still, to move at the end of August tentatively. After that trip up north something happened, and I feel more mature.

I've taken to meditating, twice a day twenty minutes in the morning and twenty in the evening. It's helped me calm down for one thing.

I got used to repairing books at the library- not sure if I documented that yet; I took a volunteer position at the library and repaired books three mornings a week for a while. This supplemented my studio practice at the parent's house. That worked for a little while, but once I got the hang of it and understood it to my satisfaction, I terminated.

I'd been doing footwork to get a mural going on this big wall in town on the side of a pet store. It's the best wall in town. It's got a heavy stucco texture, north-facing, on the busiest highway where residents and tourists alike can see it! I'm honored to be on it now. I think I'd floated the idea before, but this time I called the owner's cell phone, and got it with an open account at the paint store.

I signed up with Habitat for Humanity and started doing construction on Tuesday mornings. I've learned a lot about how houses are built, and have been taken underwing of the professional contractors on site because of my competencey.

I'm working also on glass sculptures for casting. I have several molds ready and the glass weighed out, just shopping around for a kiln-buddy that's ready to fire them. I have a meeting tomorrow with Debbie, downtown and she says if I'm willing to risk my pieces, she's willing to offer her kiln, no guarantees. Fair deal.

I have a tinder date coming up next weekend. Hope I don't jinx it. We're going to Devils Den for a morning dive.

City of Crystal River took notice of me painting the big pet store wall, and called me (after I'd been trying to reach them to get a wall for a little while, they had my phone number). They want something done in the visitor's center, so I have early morning plans tomorrow to go dive the Three Sisters Springs, to gather reference video for the design of the job.

There was a big 'Cousins Weekend' event here which is an annual family gathering, where extended family is invited and welcome to come and spend time together. The moms and dads like it because it's like a built in daycare party thing, and all of the food and accommodations are taken care of by my parents. It's nice to see that they can offer these things so humbly in their lives. I enjoyed time with the extended family.

That's most of it. I want to go down to Sarasota kind of vaguely. I need to pick up this big canvas of a nude girl that I was working with, to bring up to philly maybe so I can chip away on it there. It's a long term project I'd say, and at this point the setting is non-replicatable, so it will go from photo and memory. What's good about this is I can apply the knowledge I have yet to learn to it, once I have learned it (how stagnant is that). Also, there's a time frame, as Angie will soon leave Sarasota for New York, and it would be the last time to see her in a long while, and there's a painting that I have that's hers in spirit, bc I saw how she looked at it when she looked at it. Maybe Tuesday after Habitat.

Cheers.