Thursday, August 14, 2014

Much Working

I'm surrounded by mostly finished work. My production has increased substantially with having a great deal of studio time at my disposal. I am working on a spoke card for a local bike shop called zen cog. (image herein).


I am also working with several paintings to be displayed in a local book shop, a series of paintings based on making bread for a local bakery, a mural proposal for a local print shop, a graphic logo for a local plastics company, a commission for a friend, a zine, and an installation with several paintings for a speakeasy bar at the beginning of september.

I made this clever little drawing at my sister's graduation ceremony.

The other night I painted a wall for some friends at a local bar. I spent a few hours on it and it came out well and quite expressive and loose.
I sat at a bar (this is a drinking town) for a full day on Sunday on the understanding that there would be an art market that was low key. Low key was an understatement- I was the only vendor. I maintained a good sense of humor about it and set up a nice little table off to the side, complete with a welcoming lamp, a canvas tablecloth, books, wooden boxes, and drawings. I was not approached by anyone for four hours. I did not worry for a moment- it provided for great drawing time. I even knocked out a drawing for a commission during what began to look more and more like a waning moon fishing venture, or a lemonade stand in a rural neighborhood. As the patrons trickled in, and began to lubricate themselves, I began seeing visitors. I gave away every book on the table. Everyone seemed to be out of cash, or had prospects to hit me up for another project. No worries, no worries. I think they will enjoy the book.

I painted a sign for a downtown art walk at the beginning of the month. It came out okay at best, but it taught me a lot.

I helped my friend Laurel decorate her classroom today. (soon to be teaching at a nearby high school). I made a large cut paper letter piece that said 'Respect' so that it may be referenced by any and all in classroom at any point. Pictures likely to follow.

I have taken steps towards volunteering at the local zoo. I am not yet scheduled, but I did take all of my tests, attended an interview, attended orientation, and got a shirt. I'm so close I can smell the giraffe dung. I am looking forward to drawing the animals from life, and painting for the zoo. Matt, an organizer at the zoo mentioned that they would like to have several of their walls painted with murals. Fingers crossed.

I am scheduled to work at the Museum of Contemporary Art Jacksonville, downtown, beginning on the 18th. I will likely start with vinyl letter application, then move forward with hanging in the future. Fingers crossed.

On the 21st, I plan to go to Orlando for an art opening of a German artist, featured in a recent High Fructose magazine. Mark Gmehling.

I misplaced my phone, maybe at a nearby store. I am happily without for now. Without a phone, I feel more inclined to write to you through this blog now. I enjoy the distance. Feel free to email me at rkgoethe@gmail if need be. I will not be more than a day away in most cases.

Our downtown library here in Jacksonville is beautiful. I checked out two backpacks full of books for research on aforementioned projects.

I updated my website recently, streamlined it is more like. I may make more additions as I have a lot of mostly finished work around me here in Jacksonville. The first batch. I can't wait to show you what this Northern Florida oven has been cooking up!