Monday, May 12, 2014

Jacksonville

My folks drove up to Jacksonville for a day in their new electric car. We had a nice lunch. It was good to see them. Afterward, I went to a lovely local farmer's market/ craft market. I was inspired by the local talent and spent the rest of the day in the studio.

Shaun and I started a mural behind a local bar called The Volstead (named after the prohibition era 'Volstead Act'). Shaun expressed appreciation for the structure of my murals, so I influenced much of the underlying lattice to our collaboration. Shaun and I negotiated the palette, though he picked more colors than I felt comfortable using. We worked on the mural for an afternoon/evening session. We covered most of the wall space with color, then carved shapes into mostly plant forms, flowers, leaves, fungi, etc. The wall has a great sense of movement thus far, and there is no going wrong within our palette, despite deviating from what I originally had in mind which was closer to dichromatic.  

In the studio, I am building shelves for the bathroom. I hope to turn the space which currently feels like a prison, into a calm space, in which inspiration can strike. I hung a painting, which helped. I do not yet know how the creepy crawly critters fit into the picture. Perhaps they don't, but I also do not want to kill anything for my personal preference. Perhaps I will put in a sort of deterrent.