Friday, November 1, 2013

Leaving Berlin

My days in Berlin this time around were fantstic. I spent the final two days painting with my friend Rikard, who had traveled to Berlin to experience the graffiti scene. We met on Wednesday morning and painted all day. I made another tribute painting for my friend, Wizard. In the evening, we shared dinner then parted ways. We'd come close to finishing our paintings, but had some work left to do, so we met again on Thursday morning to finish up. (admittingly, Rikard had little work to do. I had a couple more hours with of work to do on mine.) We arrived and to our satisfaction, our pieces had not been painted over- the walls move quickly in Berlin. While I finished up my piece, a camera crew came by to gather footage for a street culture film that they are putting together. They said they might have it assembled in a year's time, at which point they will send me an email. I was pleased with how my piece came out. 


After we finished, we still had a couple hours of daylight, so we took a walk to the abandoned ice factory where we painted a couple pieces on a rooftop wall. 

Rikard and I walked back to his hostel, where I gave him the remainder of my paint. I'm happy to have a friend like Rikard. I'd like to visit him in Sweden at some point. 

I made my way back to Braden's place where I packed up my things and set out for Hoptbanhof, to catch a train out of Berlin. I had not definite plans, I just assumed I'd jump on an overnight train to Switzerland or Venice. On my way to the station, I looked up train times and found a convenient train to Basel, Switzerland leaving in fifteen minutes. I took a cab to the station, then ran to the termninal and just caught the train. The sleep on the train was rough, and there was a seating change in the middle of the night which I did not expect. When I arrived in Basel in the morning, I was tired and disoriented-primed for more adventures.